The name Coboconk is of Indian origin for which there are two versions of the translation. Quash-Qua-BeConk means where the gulls meet or nest. The other translation is Ko-Ash-Hob-O-Gong meaning running water. In both cases the translations refer to the Gull River that runs through Coboconk and separates the townships of Bexley and Somerville.
In 1851 the first saw mill was erected and lumbering performed an important role in the development of the community. Coboconk deserves to be called the "limestone village" for the hard Ordovician Limestones. Touring Coboconk, in the south, you will see remains of lime kilns and an abandoned quarry. These kilns provided employment for many men in the village and surrounding areas.
By the turn of the century Coboconk had four hotels to support the booming lumber industry. In 1859 the name was anglicized when the post office was established. In 1873 the village was the northern end of the Toronto and Nipissing Railway. The village was renamed Sheddon after the Railway company president, but was changed back to Coboconk by the townspeople.
Return to the Coboconk Main Page